This “Just” In from our friends in Minnesota: From September 1st through 4th, 2008, the Republican National Convention will be held in St. Paul, MN.
As residents of the Twin Cities, as anti-authoritarians and anarchists, we, the RNC Welcoming Committee invite folks from all around the globe to show up and make something happen. Pull this movement out of its rut, or start something new. Let the up-tops know that we could give a shit about their suits, their speeches, their money. Bring your (A)-game, cause 2008 is ours.
We’re calling for:
- Whatever skills you’ve got: medical, food-prep, legal, soapboxing, circus tricks. You name it, we wanna see it.
- Intelligence gathering. Seriously.
- Big numbers: your presence makes a difference, even if you aren’t doing anything but sending good vibes our way and bad vibes to the RNC.
- Decentralized actions: both coordinated and independent; these cities are a playground, and you wouldn’t want to miss all the fun.
- Surprises: Republicans, cops, starry-eyed youth—everyone likes a surprise.
These are the rules:
- Know the area. Come early, come often. Or if you can’t do that, study up from home.
- Respect local communities, develop your knowledge of local background, and remember that, good or bad, the effects of your actions will endure long after you’ve left.
- Strategize: Be smart. Be creative. Get a sense of what other organizing is going on.
- Take initiative.
- Keep your privilege in check. Recognize socialized systems of domination, and work to undermine them.
- Respect. Respect. Respect. Where it’s due. But no capitulation, and do what you have to do.
- Keep the bullshit to a minimum. Elitism is not security culture. No vanguardism, no unnecessary infighting, no loose lips.
Questions? Want to participate? Want to sign on to this call? Contact the RNC Welcoming Committee: rnc08.at.riseup.net